- Enhancing labour market intelligence using machine learning to be supervised by Dr David Brazier, Dr Dimitra Gkatzia, Dr Matthew Dutton, and Alistair Lawson
- Gendered information landscapes and their impact on routes into, and through, apprenticeships to be supervised by Dr Ella Taylor-Smith, Professor Sally Smith, and Dr Colin Smith
The studentships are both ESCR/Skills Development Scotland (SDS) Collaborative awards. They are offered through the Science, Technology and Innovation Studies and Information and Communication Studies pathway of the Scottish Graduate School of Social Science (SGSSS).
The Centre for Social Informatics has a strong track record of supporting ESRC/SDS-funded PhD students. We have four students currently on the programme, and two recent graduates: Dr John Mowbray 2018 – now a Research Officer at the Scottish Government; Dr Lyndsey Middleton 2020 – now an Assistant Statistician, also at the Scottish Government.
The recruitment timetable for both studentships is as follows:
- Applications are due by Wednesday 31st March 2021
- Interviews are scheduled for Tuesday 20th April 2021 (online)
- The studentship will start in October 2021
- As a three year programme, if the appointed student(s) already hold(s) a Masters degree with at least 60 credits of research methods training
- As a 1+3 four year programme, if the appointed student(s) do(es) not already hold a Masters degree with at least 60 credits of research methods training, with an MSc(R) undertaken as the first year, followed by three years of doctoral study
The studentships can be taken full-time or part-time, and international students are eligible to apply. For full details including the application process, please see the advertisements on the SGSSS web site:
- Enhancing labour market intelligence using machine learning
- Gendered information landscapes and their impact on routes into and through apprenticeships
Prospective applicants are also welcome to contact the Director of Studies of the studentships with enquiries about these two opportunities: